Another late night and another successful recipe from Cooking Light…their Fajita Turkey Burgers were super tasty! I was running out of ideas for things to cook since I’ve been “attempting” to eat healthier in lieu of our debaucherous Labor Day weekend! 🙂
Soooo a burger sounded good (a healthy one of course), and Cooking Light’s Fajita Turkey Burger just hit the spot.
I really can’t escape Southwestern food…and why should I. It’s just too delicious!
Next stop…happy hour and Mexican food at Blue Goose!!!! I love Friday’s!
Fajita Turkey Burgers
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 burger)
- 1/4 cup bottled tomatillo salsa
- 2 tablespoons chopped avocado
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper **Tom Thumb was out of Green Peppers…so I substituted a mild Hatch Chile!!
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 egg white
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
Combine tomatillo salsa, chopped avocado, and cilantro; set aside.
Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until crumbs measure 1 cup.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and bell peppers; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon fajita seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cool.
Combine breadcrumbs, onion mixture, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons fajita seasoning, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, tomato paste, turkey, and egg white in a large bowl. Using damp hands, divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Heat pan over medium heat. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add patties; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun. Top each serving with 1 1/2 tablespoons salsa mixture; top with remaining halves of buns.
- Calories: 349 (30% from fat)
- Fat: 11.5g (sat 3.1g,mono 1g,poly 1.1g)
- Protein: 30.4g
- Carbohydrate: 34.5g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 876mg
- Calcium: 110mg