The holiday season always gets me in the mood to cook. I saw an ad in my Cooking Light magazine featuring the cutest potato wedges with assorted toppings and I had to give them a try. I used my mandolin to get exact sizes so that the potatoes cooked evenly. It was super easy and fun to think of different toppings…the skies the limit!
When I think of potato appetizers I automatically think of traditional potato skins with cheddar cheese and bacon bits. These felt a lot lighter and packed way more flavor than the traditional recipe. So get creative and make this tasty recipe for your next holiday party!
Happy Eating & Happy Holidays!
Loaded Baked Potato Wedges
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 can refried black beans [try my Spicy Black Bean recipe here – mash at the end for desired consistency]
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
- 1 cup salsa [try my Spicy Fire Roasted Salsa]
- Black Bean Corn Relish [see recipe below]
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup guacamole [try my Savory Southwest Guacamole]
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease 2 cookie sheets. Using a mandolin, cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices and place on the cookie sheets, making sure the slices don’t touch.
Using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon, lightly coat potato slices with half the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with half the thyme. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes.
Flip the potatoes over and brush with remaining oil, salt, pepper, and the rest of the thyme. Bake another 5 to 8 minutes, or until tender and golden on both sides. Remove from the oven, lightly blot with a paper towel to remove excess oil, and transfer to a serving platter.
For the first topping, spread a spoonful of the refried beans onto a slice. Top with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with the chives.
For the second topping, spread a spoonful of the salsa onto a slice. Top with another spoonful of the relish and sprinkle with the cilantro.
For the third topping, spread a spoonful of the guacamole onto a slice. Top with the shredded cheese.
Black Bean Corn Relish
- 1 cup yellow corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- salt and pepper
Combine all of the above ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning.