Matt and I made the brave decision to tackle the Advocare Herbal Cleanse for 10 whole days. Now at first, I have to admit that I didn’t really see it as that big of a challenge. Unlike the dreaded liquid cleanse you actually get to eat whole food on this one. What’s not to love about fruits, veggies, chicken and fish….fast forward to day 9. My palette is screaming for variety…a sip of wine…a slice of cheese smashed in between a loaf of bread. Le sigh.
The good news is I survived and feel pretty damn good. A full recount of our last 10 days will go up tomorrow. Until then, I had to post this ridiculously healthy, simple and delicious shrimp recipe!
Now excuse me while I go steam some more veggies….
Shrimp with Tomato, Basil & Peppers
- no fat olive oil cooking spray
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, julienne style
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, divided
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus extra for drizzling
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 small tomato, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
Heat a large dutch oven over medium high heat and lightly coat with the olive oil spray. Saute the onions and peppers until soft. Add the garlic and saute an additional 30 seconds. Add 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, black and red pepper, all of the thyme, lemon juice and the chicken stock. Saute until the chicken stock has slightly reduced.
Season the shrimp with the remaining salt and pepper and drizzle with some of the fresh lemon juice. Add the shrimp to the onion mixture and cook until nice and opaque. Stir in the tomatoes and basil and remove from the heat.
Serve along side a crisp romaine salad with creamy chunks of avocado, tomato, sliced onion, red pepper, fresh lemon and a drizzle of olive oil.