Things have been so crazy lately that sometimes I don’t even have time to eat dinner, let alone cook. It’s always good to have an arsenal of recipes under your belt when your running short on time. When I have a busy week coming up I reach into my quick and easy recipe box for a few regulars that I know will not disappoint. So here are 4 of my all time favorite meals that make their way to my table multiple times a month. Give them a try!!
*Disclaimer: Yes…I am partial to Cooking Light. They are quick, easy, and HEALTHY!!! So the majority of my recipes come from them. Hit me up Cooking Light!!
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 cup trimmed watercress
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 2 tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges (about 1 pound)
- 2 hard-cooked large eggs, each cut into 4 wedges
- 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
To prepare dressing, place first 11 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Chill.
To prepare salad, combine lettuce and watercress in a large bowl. Place 2 cups lettuce mixture on each of 4 plates. Arrange 6 tablespoons chicken, 4 tomato wedges, 2 egg wedges, 2 tablespoons avocado, and 1 tablespoon cheese over each serving. Serve each salad with 1/4 cup dressing.
*Quick Note: I have never used watercress in this recipe and it’s delicious without. Also, I stop by the local market and grab a rotisserie chicken to save some time!
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups bottled fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce (such as Muir Glen Organic)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
Combine 2 tablespoons of Parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, basil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Place egg white in a shallow dish. Dip each chicken tender in egg white; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Set aside.
Combine 1/8 teaspoon salt, pasta sauce, vinegar, and pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave sauce mixture at HIGH 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Pour the sauce over chicken in pan. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining Parmesan and provolone cheese. Wrap handle of pan with foil, and broil 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
*I don’t do a thing different with this recipe…AMAZING! Definitely serve with broccoli!
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 pound(s) lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup(s) onion(s), chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
- 2 small tomato(es), ripe, yellow and/or red, thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) basil, fresh, leaves, torn or thinly shredded
- 4 item(s) reduced-calorie hamburger roll(s)
Coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray; preheat to medium-high.
In a large mixing bowl, combine turkey, onion, garlic, fennel seed, salt and pepper; form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. Coat burgers and inside of rolls with cooking spray.
Grill burgers for 5 minutes; flip burgers and add rolls to grill. Grill open-face rolls until lightly charred, about 1 to 2 minutes; remove to serving plates. Grill burgers until cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
To serve, top grilled rolls with burgers and tomato slices; garnish with basil. Yields 1 burger per serving.
Healthy Beef and Bean Tacos
From Weight Watchers Take-Out Tonight!
Makes 4 servings of two tacos each.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups refried beans (I like Old El Paso spicy)
- 8 taco shells
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream (I used reduced fat)
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in the oil, than add the onion and cook for two minutes. Add the beef, garlic and seasoning mix. Cook, breaking up the beef with a spatula, until browned, about 8 minutes.
Stir in the water and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about three minutes. Stir in the beans and heat through.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to the temperature indicated on the taco shells, and heat per the package directions.
Spoon 1/8th of the beef mixture into each shell, and top with lettuce, tomato, onion, olives, and sour cream.
Sleigh Bells is an electro duo from Brooklyn. My husband turned me on to them a few months back and I’m really digging their sound. “Crown on the Ground” is a single off their debut album “Treats”. Loving this band!